Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Somewhere Between a Labrador and Barnacle

When it comes to her need for affection, Elizabeth Gilbert, in her bestseller Eat Pray Love, describes herself as a cross between a Labrador and a barnacle. 

I love that. 

I love that so much I choked when I read it. 

Because it’s true of me too. So, if you’d be so kind as to share it, Ms. Gilbert, I shall claim that description for myself. 

I have this insatiable need to be touched. It doesn’t matter if you offer to hug me, snuggle with me, sit next to me, pat my head or simply breathe on me – I’ll take it. And forever love you for it.  

And yes, for those of you who are wondering, I’m a 28 year old woman who still wants to crawl into her mother’s lap. Mom doesn’t often let me do it, but when she does… oh the glorious snuggling there is to be had!

(PS – I’m horrified that I just admitted that). 

Featured here is a blissfully ignorant whale who is being attacked by barnacles. Can you see them? Those little dots clinging to his underbelly? Yup, that's me.

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I love this description of you! I look forward to reading your blog. I've found that the more I blog, the more self-aware I become, and the more horrifying confessions about myself I find magically appearing in cyberspace. Welcome to the club. :o)

    ReplyDelete